Teaching & learning
I am Senior Lecturer in New Media at Birmingham City University, where I run the BA (Hons) Media & Communication (New Media).
I am an external examiner at Northumbria University and Ravensbourne, and have previously held EE appointments at Falmouth University and Ulster University. I enjoy working on validation and revalidation work on media courses, please contact me if you need an external validator.
I am currently completing my PhD project which is an investigation into the discourses of hyperlocal media in the UK.
I have previously published work on the social media activity of fans of the TV show The West Wing and on issues related to media education. Links to these projects are collected on Academia.edu.
I have worked in various roles on knowledge transfer projects for Birmingham City University, and I am keen to work with external organisations on developing relevant and impactful research.
Other work & ephemera
- I co-host the podcasts You don't look like a runner and Thread.
- I'm a regular panellist on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy podcast Beware of the Leopard.
- I am joint editor of Paradise Circus: A Birmingham Miscellany.
- I co-authored 101 Things Birmingham Gave the World—a collection of (mostly) humorous essays connecting the invention of things as diverse as nuclear war and toilets to the second city.
- I directed and co-wrote In Toni's Footsteps—a documentary film about the lives of German soldiers who occupied my home island of Guernsey during WW2.
- I appeared in and was Second Unit Director on multi-award winning zombie short Still.
- My old blog is here—it contains content related to my PhD as well as more ephemeral matters